Merry Christmas to you!
Head on over to the blog for your chance to win some amazing prizes!
Good morning! How was your weekend?
I have long been obsessed with Pottery Barn and their current yet timeless style. I am partcularly obsessed with their slightly distressed totally perfect black finish, but not obsessed at all with their prices and the fact that the closest Pottery Barn is in Ontario!
So, what to do, what to do. . . turn to the www of course, specifically Pinterest! I had been noticing that this tutorial kept popping up, so I watched it a few dozen times and thought what the heck, looks do-able.
And you know what??
My table went from this:
I am in love with it!
I followed the steps in the video.
It was lightly sanded, primed with this stuff:
(here's a little tip also courtesy of Pinterest; line your paint tray with foil - makes clean up a snap!)
Make sure you use a decent quality foam roller:
That was then lightly sanded:
It was then wiped down and dried, and then it was time for the the first coat! I was so excited to get that on, but wait, we ran into a slight glitch. Notice anything (besides the fact that it's a grainy cell phone pic)??
That's right - it's not black, it's blue! Long story short, I chose a colour called "Jet" as in black. When it was mixed, it didn't look right to me but the paint guy convinced me that it would dry black. Well, it didn't. Back to the store I went. . . twice! Moral of the story: stand your ground with the paint guy.
Once that was corrected, it was really fun painting and sanding and painting and sanding and painting and sanding!
I skipped the step with the stain pen, I tried it but didn't feel like this piece needed it:
It was then wiped down thoroughly and given two coats of this, with cheesecloth:
I also painted some furniture for Emma, not quite as subtle, which I'll share in another post!
Also, do you know that registration for Crop and Create Winnipeg opens tonight?? I am beyond excited to be teaching again, and I hope you'll come join me for a class or two:
Class descriptions can be found here! Can you believe the talent I'm teaching with?? Can't wait!
Have a great Monday everyone :)
Good morning! I am so glad it's Friday, it's been a very long week.
Guess what goes live today??
Check it out here! My article starts on page 28 and I also have another layout in this issue - can you find it??
Have a great weekend everyone!
Isn't that just an awesome winter cover?? Beautiful layout by the amazing Summer Fullerton - isn't her title work amazing!!?
The new issue goes live on December 4th, just in time for a little holiday inspiration! Even after all this time, I still love the anticipation of seeing a new issue; Catherine and Becky do such a great job time and time again, and I really do feel so lucky to be a part of the SCT team.
Good Morning! How was your weekend?
I really enjoyed some self-imposed down-time, it was so nice to have a 3 day weekend, coming off of a stressful week to begin with.
Here's my weekly whatever, that I started last week but just didn't happen:
1. Started and finished our new book club book and really enjoyed it, quick easy read:
2. As some of you guessed, yes! I will be teaching at Crop and Create, both the Winnipeg event and the Moncton event. I am sooooooo excited to be teaching again!! Class details will be posted soon, but I know for sure that I will be teaching both photograhy and scrapbooking. I have never been to Winnipeg, so I'm really looking forward to that!
3. I don't think grown women should ever use the word 'dude' when addressing another grown woman. Seriously? Is it just me?
4. Halloween: Rebecca Kate Middleton changed her mind at the last minute and would have nothing to do with the camera. Emma KathyPerry, on the other hand, rocked it and had a great time. I don't know too many people who could pull off a blue wig, do you??
5. The cars are all ready for winter with fluids checked and snow tires on. Always a relief. Thankfully though the long term forecast for November looks lovely!
6. Loving The New Girl, it completely cracks me up!
7. This puts a smile on my face every single time I watch it. I love the song by Niki Minaj but with this little spitfire singing it with all that swag, it's just too much. And how about Rosie, her 'hype' girl?? Good gig if you can get it!
I just said to Emma, "Oh my gosh Emma, if you ever have little girls please make them rap!". lol!
On that happy note I'll wrap this up. Have a lovely Monday and thanks for stopping by :)
Hello! Just squeaking in here under the wire with my weekly whatever post!
1. My good friend Penny forwarded me this email yesterday full of hilarious autocorrects. For some reason, they just slay me. Here are some that made me lol at work, to the point that I had to get up and leave my desk because I was starting to lose it:
2. I am sooooooooooo excited to announce that I will be teaching in 2012, it's a sure thing. At least one brand new location for me and somewhere very close to home. I will share all the details when the announcement is made. I am still open to class suggestions if you have any.
3. Rebecca and I have been watching the "Scream" movies - we took in the original and 4 this week and plan to watch 2 and 3 this weekend. For what they are, they're entertaining.
4. I have some furniture painting on my agenda this weekend, can't wait.
5. I will close with a shot of Rebecca and her friends Marlise and Robyn. These girls bring new meaning to the word "girl power" as they travel the Fundy biosphere testing different water sources - more on that in another post:
Have a great weekend!
I really want to thank those of you who still pop in here, I know my posting has been somewhat erratic. Sorry; sometimes life sucks and sometimes that suckiness tends to take precedence over anything and everything else going on. But I am trying to push myself and get back at the stuff I enjoy, and blogging is one of those things. ‘Nuff said.
So, I am going to do my.very.best. to post at least once a week, like a ‘weekly whatever’ post and I’ll just spew whatever comes to mind. Some weeks I might have 10 things to share, some weeks I might have one, but I’ll give it a darn good go, I promise!
OK, onto this week’s weekly whatevers:
1. Emma is dressing as Katy Perry for Halloween and Rebecca is dressing as Kate Middelton – think both will look fantastic and I can’t wait to see them!
2. I am tossing about class ideas for 2012 – it’s sooooo good to think about teaching again, I’ve missed it!
3. I have a very sore lower back from lifting not one but 2 hardened 50lbs bags of cement on Sunday, from my garage to the curb for clean up day. Oh the crap that came out of that garage – looks amazing now though! Any sore lower back remedies?
4. If you have emailed me or commented on my blog and I haven't gotten back to you, I'm so sorry. I think it's incredibly ill mannered not to answer when people take the time to reach out or ask questions, and I am way behind in my emails. No excuse, but I refer you to the suckiness referenced in my intro.
5. My house sale fell through ten days before it was supposed to close. I was absolutely devastated. Some people just suck, and said people further add to the already existing suckiness as referenced above. I am hoping another wonderful buyer will come along sooner than later. If you pray or hope or send good vibes, think of me please :)
6. I am really enjoying “Sarah’s House” on HGTV this season.
She usually has amazing ideas and a clean, timeless classic style, although her budget is a bit unrealistic I think.
7. Have you read HGTV’s brand new magazine!? LOVED it! Thanks to my mom for picking it up for me. Right up my alley, can’t wait for issue #2. I actually had a question about the paint colour on page 50 and I emailed them and the editor emailed me back!
8. Haven’t had a chance to talk up the SCT/PageMaps 2012 Calendar yet!
I feel so very fortunate to have been included once again with this talented group and I am very happy to announce that my layout is going to open the calendar!! American Crafts was my ever-generous sponsor, and I used my favourite photos from 2012 for my layout. The calendars sold out quickly last year, so order yours here here!
9. We just finished Sarah's Key for book club. Good book. Sad book.
I feel ignorant for not even knowing that that happened, a mere 60 years ago. I am going to try and find the movie. Maybe it’s on Netflix?
10. Speaking of Netflix, I am thinking of signing up again now that Blockbuster has bitten the dust.
I had it briefly, we ran it through our Wii, but it used to really struggle. I’ve heard there’s a way to stream it through your iphone, so I may look into that. Rogers on Demand just doesn't have a great selection, they need to step it up a bit!
OK, I made it to ten, not bad! As always, thanks for stoppinb by - see you next week!